Enter the base name or location (i.e. "North Carolina" or "Pearl Harbor")
|Army||Air Force||Coast Guard||Navy||Marines|
Field Service Technician
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Job Code: 9326
# of openings: 1
Last updated: 2/26/13 10:19 AM
Apply For This Position
TransCore, a subsidiary of Roper Industries, Inc. (NYSE: ROP) is seeking a full-time Field Service Technician to join our team in Tallahassee, Florida.
Job Summary: This position performs on-site or in-house servicing, repair and/or installation of customer equipment. This job may include any aspect of field support including: troubleshooting and repair of electronic equipment, systems, and wiring; installation of equipment; upgrades, modifications, programming; preventive maintenance actions; documentation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilitiesinclude the following. Other duties may be assigned.
* Successfully maintain a customer-approved security clearance from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) throughout the term of their employment.
* Live in a location for their assigned area where the contract response time requirements can be complied with. Current contract response time requirements for emergency/critical repairs are 2 hours to be on site and 4 hours to complete repairs (nominal) from the time of trouble notification, and two business days for routine/non-critical repairs.
* Complete emergency and routine installation, preventive and corrective inspection and testing, troubleshooting, and reporting activities on customer facilities and equipment according to customer requirements and industry standard practices.
* Customer facilities include physical structures around the customer’s communications compound – for example, but not limited to, fencing, landscaping, shelter building, and tower structures.
* Customer equipment includes PC-based computers, network communications equipment, radio frequency equipment, telecommunications equipment, and AC/DC power systems, and any incidental equipment as directed supporting those systems.
* Any corrective maintenance activities, either through a request or through automated system alarms via text messaging, will be addressed within the established acceptable timeframe. Most work will be conducted normally on a Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM EST shift schedule. However, the technician must be able to receive system alarms via text messaging and respond accordingly to the standby/on-call rotation schedule any time outside of those hours during the week, including weekends and holidays, subject to the established standby/on-call rotation schedule.
* Any work performed by field staff will be conducted using appropriate test equipment, troubleshooting, and repair procedures.
* Complete project documentation in a timely fashion after any service call or field visit is made (not to exceed one week from completion of work/visit) or by deadlines established by the supervisor. This includes service tickets and any other documentation as directed by the supervisor (e.g., reports, logs, photographs, diagrams, equipment readings).
* With situations requiring a subcontractor, upon the supervisor’s approval, the technician will be responsible to:
* Coordinate work with subcontractors and peer technician staff;
* Ensure that any approved subcontractor work is safely and accurately performed according to customer procedures and industry standard practices;
* Collect subcontractor documentation and verify the completeness and accuracy of the information. Subcontractor documentation would typically include any reports, photographs, diagrams, and equipment readings as directed by the supervisor. Verified documentation shall be submitted through established policies and procedures for both electronic and hard copy; and
* Capable of learning and demonstrating an acceptable level of knowledge, skill, and ability of system information over the first year of employment according to the following schedule:
* Within 2 months: Be able to travel to customer sites that are assigned to the technician (both primary and standby responsibilities); demonstrate competency and accuracy with assigned test equipment, complete routine preventative maintenance checks on customer facilities and equipment; fill out routine paperwork (PM forms, service tickets, expense reports); monitor system status through the customer’s network management system and through text messaging, and respond accordingly; and complete/submit service tickets.
* Within 6 months: Fully understand the operation and signal flow of key system equipment, and be able to logically troubleshoot problems to the root cause. Able to perform exchange of circuit boards and modules from the spare parts inventory to repair equipment. Manage spare parts inventory by ensuring defective/damaged equipment is repaired timely. Complete purchase requisitions accurately and timely to obtain materials or services as needed. Manage repair activities/RMAs by shipping the defective/damaged equipment to an authorized repair facility, monitoring the repair status of the equipment until repairs are complete, and receive equipment back from the repair facility and place it back in the spare parts inventory.
* Within 12 months: Fully understand the operation and signal flow of all system equipment, and be able to logically troubleshoot problems to the root cause. Perform basic component and board-level repair, where applicable.
* Using and maintaining, as appropriate, the following software applications: Windows XP, Windows 7, Microsoft Office 2007 (specifically, Word, Excel, and Outlook). Able to use both command-line and Graphical User Interface (GUI) applications as appropriate to perform work duties.
* According to established policies, procedures, and their supervisor’s direction, the employee shall be responsible to timely and accurate communication and reporting of work progress and issues to management, coordinate field activities with project team members, facilitate resolution of issues, and complete required documentation.
* Assist with training less experienced technicians on an as-needed basis, as directed by the supervisor.
* Provide basic hand tools for use on maintenance work, such as screwdrivers, wrenches, wire cutters/strippers, etc. Any specialized tools and test equipment will be provided by the company and the technician will be responsible to ensure their assigned tool inventory are stored and maintained in a safe and optimum operating condition according to any routine scheduled maintenance, established guidelines, or as directed by the supervisor.
Education: High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required. An Associate’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or Electronics Technology, or an appropriate level of military or work experience, is preferred.
Required Skills & Experience:
* Typically requires a minimum of 2 - 4 years of related experience.
TransCore’s expertise includes systems integration, design consulting, operations, maintenance, manufacturing, RFID and satellite communications technologies, and extensive Web-based logistics and transportation management systems.
TransCore offers competitive compensation and an excellent benefit package that includes medical, dental and vision coverage, flexible savings accounts, 401K, Life and AD&D insurance, a comprehensive Paid Leave program, and a Tuition Reimbursement program. Participation is limited to regular full-time employees.
TransCore is proud to support workforce diversity and is a committed equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We encourage women and minorities to apply.
To learn more about TransCore please visit us at www.transcore.com.
Sponsorship and relocation assistance are not offered at this time for this position.
For immediate consideration, please submit your resume (in confidence) by clicking "Apply Now"
All referrals and résumés are managed exclusively through the Human Resources Department. TransCore will not consider unsolicited résumés from vendors including search firms, fee-based referral services and/or recruitment agencies.
Are you a returning applicant?
If you do not remember your passwordclick here.
Back to Search Results
© 2013. TransCore, LP. All rights reserved. TRANSCORE is a registered trademark and is used under license.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Contents are subject to change.
terms and conditions